Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Character Development

Actually, this post is about how I am developing character rules for my latest version of Micro Quest. I just jotted down some random thoughts.

Classes
Last year's version of MQ (MQ22) only had 3 classes - fighters, rogues, and sages. For compatibility with D&D, I'd like to include the full panoply of major classes. 
  • Add fighter sub-classes - barbarian, monk, ranger, and paladin
  • Split sage into bard, cleric, druid,  and magic-user.
I plan on streamlining abilities so I can fit a character's stats on one line of an index card.

Levels
MQ22 mashed characters into 6 levels. This means I had to convert from D&D to MQ levels. Not that it was difficult; I generally just divided by 2. But it dawned on me that I don't to convert because I derive target numbers from relative levels.

I may still have character levels cap out around level 10 or so. In AD&D, that's about when characters become eligible to settle down and run a fief.

I will still likely create my own leveling charts, probably based on quests completed rather than killing stuff or finding treasure.

Ability Scores
MQ22 dispensed with ability scores. I assumed that fighters are strong, sages are intelligent, and rogues are dexterous. But this negates some opportunities for characterization. For example, I found it amusing that my character Tweedle turned out to be a bit rash.

A previous version of MQ allowed for strengths and weaknesses. I will resurrect this mechanic in some fashion to add a little flavor. I think I will assume that characters are average for all characteristics and then roll to see if they have a strength or weakness.

2 comments:

  1. Role playing isn’t really my scene. It is, however, good to see that you are making progress with any potential changes to your rules so they should deliver what you’re looking for 😉
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And of course once I make a little progress, I stall out. I haven't done any gaming / testing over the past week +

      Delete