Sunday, December 17, 2023

Vacation

Well, my winter vacation has begun. I am technically off work for the next two weeks.


Lowered expectations
I'd like to lounge around, like Napoleon above. I hoped to do some gaming every day. I even toyed with reviving the Twelve Games of Christmas. Increasingly, however, it looks like I'll have little gaming time. I just have too many chores to do around the house - take the car in, paint a fence, clear out my father-in-law's apartment, and even do some work work! As a result, I don't expect as much gaming. :(

A new interest
Over the past few weeks I've developed a new historical interest - the Slavs. This arose due to preparations for LARP. In February, I will again attend Mythic Adventures. I went last March and it was a bit of a disaster. This time, I'm making a few changes, including a change in character. Based on my traveling companion's preference, I'll be making a character based on medieval Eastern European culture.

My grandmother was born in Slovakia (when the Austro-Hungarian Empire was still a thing!) so I want to base my character on medieval Slovaks. There is not much information online, at least not in English. However, I am looking to Great Moravia as inspiration.

I found a Slovak series on Prime video. Called The Slavs (aka Slavonia), it seems to be telling the story of Samo's Empire of the 7th century.

Anyway, all this has given me a hankering for some medieval Slavic battles, perhaps against the Avars. I just have haven't got around to setting anything up.

Napoleon?
In my last post, I mentioned that Ridley Scott's Napoleon piqued my interest in the period. I started a campaign and have done nothing with it since. I'd like to get in another game during the break.

What about RPG?
I last played a session with Ser Killian in October. He is now ready to try Axeholm again, but again I haven't had the time or energy. I hope to get a session in over vacation.

2 comments:

  1. I’m also in a “low” period for gaming. It difficult to summon up much enthusiasm at present (in fact, my wife needs me to tidy away everything from the dining room as she needs the table for Christmas). I’m hoping the new year will see an upturn - I’m due to retire in a few months, so hopefully I can concentrate my efforts on hobbies as the “world of work” becomes only a memory 😁😁
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your impending retirement! I still have several more years so I'll just have to keep plugging away with occasional games.

      Delete