Saturday, August 10, 2024

Chocks Away

A variety of factors have set me off on an air combat kick.

I'm toying with the idea of dogfight microgame that will fit in a small box, take up minimal room, and play in a short period of time.

Inspirations
How did I get on this kick?

I played a little Ace of Aces with a friend a couple of weeks previously.

I'm re-reading The Two-Headed Eagle, a novel about an Austrian U-boat commander turned observer in a reconnaissance plane. 

SOPWWID (Simple One Page WWI Dogfight rules)
I have a set of rules that will work perfectly for such a microgame, which I featured in a mini-campaign called Protecting Pearl. Yet I am never satisfied. I've been pondering a way to play Ace of Aces solo. I decided to do some research to see if someone has done something similar.

I came across SOPWWID, which is free on Board Game Geek.

It's a very simple set of rules where your Sopwith Camel takes on a Fokker and a Pfalz. The AI is clever, however. There is a matrix of possible maneuvers depending where you are in relation to the enemy plane. A single D10 roll 

I played a couple of games and found the AI worked fairly well. Occasionally, the enemy plane did an odd maneuver. But hey, I just chalked it out to the confusion of battle. Unfortunately, I found it a little tough to get into firing position. As a result, the games dragged a tad. Furthermore, all the planes maneuver the same.

Solo Aces of Aces
I dug a little deeper in Board Game Geek and found that someone created a simple AI for solo Ace of Aces. I haven't tried it yet but plan to do so. I'll post a report when I do.

Aircraft Counters
One question comes up - what should I do for playing pieces for my aerial mini-game? I am still using minis for air battles, but I'd like to switch to counters. I've been looking around for some planes but have not quite found ones I like. Still searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment