Wednesday, August 14, 2024

More Plane Counters

I've been making progress on my plane counters (see my previous post for an introduction to this project).

Word War II-ish
As I mentioned, I patterned my original counters on WW I aircraft. They just did not look generic enough to pass for WW II planes. I created one based on the Russian I-16 but did not like it as a generic plane. So back to the drawing board.

Eventually, I came up with these.

I based the counters on real planes.
  • The fighter (top 2 rows) - P-40, one of my favorite planes when I was younger. 
  • The bomber (bottom left) - Japanese Mitsubishi G4M Betty
  • The light bomber (bottom right) - is just the P-40 repeated. At a glance, I thought it could pass as a Stuka, so why recreate the wheel?
I changed the color on the red force, making it more brown. I felt that it would be more appropriate for WW II that way.

Once again, the bombers are gray and will serve for either side.

Next Step
I need targets.

I really like the high level view you see in some game mats, like this. Perfect for high level bombing.

I don't need a full game mat. I would like to get target tiles, maybe 1 or 2 inches square, with the target printed on it.

Some ideas for targets.
  • A city with factories
  • Airfield
  • Dockyard with naval vessels
  • Artillery
  • A column of armor and infantry
I've been looking online but haven't found any tiles for sale. I may need to make my own.

Coming Up
This Saturday, I take a break from the skies and sail the seas instead. Stay tuned for a battle report.

No comments:

Post a Comment