Sunday, January 22, 2017

Expanding My Boxed Game Project

I was so pleased by my experiment with a boxed portable wargame that I decided to expand upon it with additional terrain boards.

Here is the result - space, desert, and sea:


The boards consist of scrapbooking paper glued to stiff 8" x 10" artist board. I chose paper because I figured it would be thinner than felt and therefore allow for more stuff in the box. I played a test game with a road cut from some paper. It tended to slide, a problem I didn't have with my felt boards. I'm thinking of switching to felt (although laziness may postpone this idea for a while).

The space and sea boards are divided into an offset square grid, which I think will work better for ship maneuvering.

My plan is to get a Tuff Box for each board. I'll fill the box with everything needed to play a game. In addition to the board there will be dice, terrain (as applicable), a copy of the rules, and two opposed miniature armies. My ship and spaceship miniatures are too large for these grids so I will need to turn to smaller alternatives.

Anyway, I'll post my account of my latest experiment - the next battle in my Zirconian sci-fi campaign.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your really do seem to have taken the concept to a higher level.

    I look forward to seeing how your games turn out.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. And thanks for the inspiration. Without your blog this experiment would never have occurred!

      Delete