Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Doldrums

The Doldrums (noun)

  1. A belt of calms and light, baffling winds north of the equator between the northern and southern trade winds in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans
  2. a dull, listless, depressed mood; low spirits
The Redgravian Fleet becalmed in the Francesian Doldrums

"Doldrums" is a good word to describe my board/miniature gaming status. I have not been playing board or miniature games and did not even post last week. There are a few reasons for this:

  • I ordered figures for my medieval project but I am waiting for them to arrive. They are being shipped from England so I don't expect them for a few weeks. I could use my plastic figures, but I don't have the right mix of troop types to play a Dux Brit campaign (which is my project goal).
  • I'm not really in the mood for any of the games I have. I want something with a little combat. My choices would be Memoir '44, the Space Hulk card game, or an RPG. I'm not into WWII at this time, Space Hulk is frighteningly hard, and my brain is not creative enough for an RPG.
  • I got sucked back into World of Warcraft. I enjoy playing WoW with my wife so I signed back up and we have dungeoned the last two weekends.
I hope to do a little board gaming soon. I ordered Castle Panic - a light, cooperative game that I think my wife and I will enjoy.

Photo note:  I decided to pull out a few of my ships to illustrate the doldrums. I built these in the early '90s and somehow have managed to hold onto them all these years. I no longer have a board or mat to use as an ocean, so I pressed a blue T-shirt into service for the photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment