Sunday, May 20, 2018

The Summer Lull Has Started

I posted this chart in January 2017. Although it hasn't been updated since, I think the story it tells still applies.

As it shows, I typically go into a blogging slump beginning in May and lasting throughout the summer. It looks like this year is following a similar pattern. I have only posted once before this month, and it had nothing to do with miniatures.

I tried to break out of the slump this weekend. With no pressing chores, I had the time. I just did not have any inspiration. I planned to experiment more with Munera Sine Missione but just wasn't feeling it. I managed a couple of quick plays using some 2D6 skirmish rules I jotted down a while before. I used tokens and very little terrain so they did not last long enough to write about. I also have some minis on the work table, but again I was not motivated to paint.

I did make an interesting discovery - Amazing Tales


Billed as "a game for children who love adventures," Amazing Tales is a rules-light role-playing game. Characters are simply defined with a name, a description, and a list of four things they are good at doing. Play is likewise simple - the GM starts the story, confronts the players with a challenge, and then asks the players what they want to do. When players use one of their four things then they get to roll a die (ranging from a D6 to a D12 depending on how good they are), needing a 3+ to succeed. If they succeed, they get to narrate the result. If not, the GM will increase the challenge. Note that it's really more of a collaborative storytelling game than a classic RPG (where the GM decides what happens). Nevertheless, it is an incredibly light rules system for crafting adventures.

Now I don't have kids and don't plan on finding any to play this game. However, it intrigues me because my wife has typically been put off by all the math in role-playing games. I'm curious if she would take to this.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like it has a lot in common with, and may even be derived from, the Matrix Games pioneered by Chris Engle. They work best with players who are articulate, imaginative and can think quickly to come up with their next action or riposte to another's action. I believe games like this can be a great way to develop children's ability to express themselves orally, self confidence and imagination. But they're also good for non-gamers who would be put off by our normal rulebooks, charts, tables &c. I hope your wife will enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete