Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Plane Crazy

I'm facing a bit of a dilemma right now. I need more planes for my bomber campaign, but I'm reluctant to buy more planes!

Let me explain. You see, I am not a typical wargamer. I'm a minimalist at heart so I hate having large collections. I try to keep my forces to a minimum to play the game. It's one of the reasons I like imagi-nations. I can use generic forces and not worry about collecting every plane in every theater. Unfortunately, due to my GADD (Gamer's Attention Deficit Disorder) I start and drop projects regularly, only to find duplication and overlap. That's my current situation.

Today, I rummaged among my discarded projects and found some more planes.

First up are some generic 1/900 scale planes by Irregular. To the left are some of my Aetherian planes. As you can see, they seem to fit size-wise (even though the Aetherian ones are nominally 1/600 scale from PicoArmor). The bombers are a bit bigger but they are 4-engine bombers so it makes sense. The bombers are only a little larger than my 1" squares so I think they'll work. I'll probably repaint them in Aetherian colors.

And here are some 1/600 Tumbling Dice Germans and Americans (Me-109, FW-190, P-51, P-47, and B-17). They are a bit larger so I probably won't use them.

I found some 1-engine bombers from PicoArmor (right, in red). I need to finish painting and basing them. I have another 5 (not painted).

Nevertheless, I would like some more 2-engine bombers.

However, my latest plane kick started with these.

This jet age project began as an homage to my recently deceased father, who flew Canberras in the '50s. My problem with these is that they are a bit big for my board.

To complicate matters even further, I had previously intended to get rid of all my planes. In an exercise in extreme minimalism, my plan was to create fleets of rockets which could serve either as space fighters or larger ships. I have done some space dogfights with home-made flats. However, I am not happy with my attempts and am looking for some minis that I like.

Writing this post has clarified some things in my mind. I'm going to paint up my Canberras for another set of rules while I prepare my Irregular planes for the Aetheria campaign. I'll be ordering a small batch of 2-engine bombers (probably from Irregular) to fill out my Aetherian air forces. I am going to shelve my space dogfight concept for the time being. Once I get everything sorted out, I'll put any extras in my discard pile (to be given away eventually).

No comments:

Post a Comment