Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Sci Fi Skirmish with Age of Heroes

For years I have been experimenting with different sci-fi skirmish rules, and the quest continues. Recently, I picked up a free set posted to Lead Adventure Forum. Called Age of Heroes, the author calls them "a set of fast, fun & open wargame rules." I decided to give them a try.

AoH is a very simple set of rules. There are 2 types of characters - heroes and and warriors. Naturally, heroes are a bit better. Your warband starts with 1 hero and 4 warriors. There are optional upgrades available but I did not use any.

A squad of robotrons have boarded the Federation Starship Fortitude. The ship's Marines, led by Corporal Simmons, rush to the scene.
AoH has a movement allowance of 10cm; I adjusted it to 3 squares.

As Simmons comes to an intersection, a robotron fires on him. Fortunately, it misses.
Attacking requires a simple D6 roll, needing to score equal to or above the figure's Shoot or Fight score.

One of the Marines guns down a robotron.
If a hit is scored, the target gets to make a saving roll against its Armor value. Failure results in a wound. Warriors can only take 1 wound.

Return fire misses. On the left, Simmons engages in close combat while his partner gets cut down.

Robotrons gang up on Simmons, but his armor protects him. On the right, another robotron goes down.

But a Marine is killed. Simmons takes out a robotron.

The last robotron on the right falls.

Simmons retreats through a room then pops back out and blasts the last robotron.

Victory for the Marines!

Thoughts

  • These are very simple rules, right up my alley. I will likely play some more with them, perhaps adding some upgrades.
  • Still, I think I may tweak them some more. Every figure can act in every turn. I prefer to have some kind of random activation in my games; it adds a bit of drama to the game. I will probably play around with something.

No comments:

Post a Comment