Sunday, March 7, 2021

More Byzantine Business

I'm still on a Byzantine kick, although I haven't managed to squeeze in a game. I was looking at the army lists from Neil Thomas's Ancient and Medieval Wargaming and think I can do a Byzantine battle with the 3mm figures I currently have. The Byzantines will be light on cavalry and I'll have to combine my blue and black armies for the enemy (I'm thinking Sassanians), but a battle is still doable. Just not this week.

So what have I been doing? Making plans for LARPing. 

I'm scheduled to get my first COVID vaccine shot tomorrow, so I see a light at the end of the tunnel and hope to be back on the field sooner than later this year. When I do, I am considering forming a branch of Way of the Sword, a LARP organization in my home state of Florida.

Branches in WoTS are expected to choose a historical theme so I selected, naturally enough, the Byzantines. To this end, I have been researching force structures, clothing, armor, and weapons. I began to put together a guidebook with the fruits of my research. Here is a sample illustration that I did.


I had previously formed a short-lived LARP group that used the chimera as its sigil. I want to resuscitate it as our new unit's symbol and call us the Chimera Legion (yes, I know that Byzantines did not use the term "legion," but it sounds better than tagma and it emphasizes Byzantium's connection to Rome).

Anyway, stay tuned for more information on the Chimera Legion, and hopefully a Byzantine battle report!

No comments:

Post a Comment