Monday, August 9, 2021

A Week of GADD

Since my last post, I have been busy. It just hasn't been entirely gaming, though.

Scroll down for my latest wargame ponderings.

LARP Projects

On the LARP front, I have made progress on a few projects.

I decorated a shield cover.


The sigil represents my new LARP unit, the Chimera Legion.

Onyx had to inspect it.

I also made a dragon sigil.

It's for a tabard.

I whipped this up due to a recent change in the Amtgard rules, which opened up eligibility for the paladin class. Paladins who have not received an Amtgard "knighthood" display a white dragon to indicate their class.

This dragon sigil came from a LARP realm called Dragon Coast, which I helped to found back in 2009.

Wargame Thoughts
Recently, I've been in a mood for a skirmish game, which got me thinking about doing a Byzantine themed project in 10mm. Two different approaches came to mind:
  • a small-scale affair with 5 individually based figures, or
  • a larger skirmish with about 20 or so figures, probably based in small groups
What to do? What to do?

It dawned on me that I could combine the approaches. Have leaders and specialty figures based individually with grunts combined on bases.

Here's what I'm thinking for organization:
  • 1 commander
  • 2 units of spearmen with 6 figures + 1 officer each
  • 1 unit of archers with 6 figures + 1 officer
  • 1 unit of light cavalry with 3 figures including the officer
Each unit of infantry will have 1 base each of 3 figures, 2 figures, and 1 figure. Cavalry will be individually based.

My player "warband" will be Byzantines. What about the enemy? I plan to use fantasy bad guys. I'd like my warband to run into minotaurs, chimeras, and other classical monsters. I'd also like some Greek-themed hordes, but I'm not sure what. Amazons? Satyrs? I haven't decided yet but I will say NO ORKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment