Saturday, October 1, 2022

THW Quick Play Adventures Kickstarter

I may not be all that crazy about Battles of the English Civil War, but I love the concept behind Lambo's game. They are essentially board games in book form. They are quick to set up and quick to play.

Now it appears that Ed Teixiera of Two Hour Wargames has taken the concept to a whole new level. He has just launched a Kickstarter for Quick Play Adventure Games!

The QPAGs are complete games in bound book form. In addition to the rules, they include battle boards and real, honest-to-goodness counters!

Now I have a real love-hate relationship with THW. I frequently find myself enamored of the game themes but I just cannot wrap my head around the rules. I usually take elements from THW and then use my own rules, such as my experiments with Hell Hath No Fury. Thus, I was initially reluctant to back the new Kickstarter. But when I saw the packages with all the components, I could not resist.

I initially pledged for a single printed copy. I plan to opt for Warrior Heroes, the fantasy rules.


I was already working on a box set for quick fantasy skirmishes but I never got around to playtesting. Warrior Heroes may be the answer to my quest for quick play fantasy.

I also see that Ed is offering a Pulp game.


This may come in handy. Months ago I pre-ordered Pulp!, a set of pulp skirmish rules from Osprey. It is now scheduled for release in December. One issue - I don't have any pulp miniatures. I planned to make some pulp counters, but never found good artwork. Once again, THW may be the answer to my dilemma, and I am seriously considering adding to my pledge.

THW estimates to ship the books in January. I look forward trying out QPAG.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds interesting. Please let us know how it goes Kevin.
    When you mentioned you had another project in mind I half thought you were going to say you were re-visiting a B17 games - I see Wargame Vault have “B17: Twenty Five Missions” and thought it may be that.
    And, off at a slight tangent, Mike Lambo’s next offering will be a WW2 tank game (he’s previewed it on Facebook).
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I have yet another mini-project in mind. I delayed announcing it so I could post about Quick Play Adventures. I plan to post about the other project on Wednesday.

      Delete