Saturday, November 5, 2022

Goodbye, Alice

It was time for a game for Thomasina. I was not in the mood for a battle or a dungeon crawl, so I decided on a bombing run.

In July I posted about some fast play homebrew bombing rules. I played a few games then put it aside. Now I've returned to the skies.

This is a brief account of my second run from last week.

The Squadron
For this mission, my squadron comprises:
  • Alice with Malice
  • Bouncing Betty
  • Charming Charlotte
All are experienced crews.

The Objective
The squadron receives a medium length mission.

The Mission
At first all goes smoothly. They reach the target zone with minimal opposition.

Charlotte shoots down one attacker.

Flak over the target is heavy. As a result, bombing accuracy is low.

On the way home, the opposition stiffens. At first, the squadron sees them off.

But things get hairy. Alice takes some damage.

I didn't take pictures of the rest of the mission, but it got worse. Alice takes very heavy damage and Charlotte is not much better.

Alice cracks up while landing. She is beyond repair and most of the crew are lost.

Game Notes
I was working with hastily scribbled notes but managed to put a somewhat coherent set of rules together.

As you can see, I made a special board for the game. I place the bombers in the central box. There are six arcs surrounding the bomber box. This makes it very easy to determine where the fighters come from.

I also added zones to the missions. Targets can either be close (1 zone), medium (2 zones), or far (3 zones). Each zone can feature multiple waves.

Currently, I'm working out campaign rules. I want to allow the crews gain experience. But heavy damage can reduce experience, representing loss of crew members.

Anyway, more to come!

2 comments:

  1. Games are part of a campaign are, in my experience, much more rewarding. Good luck. Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, losing Alice is more painful than losing an unnamed plane in a one-off scenario.

      Delete