Saturday, November 19, 2022

Ground Attack

After testing Warbirds, I decided to run another scenario using my homebrew rules.

Rather than a dogfight, I decided to generate a scenario randomly. Using my campaign rules for tiny air combat, I rolled a ground attack with one plane.

Once again, Hank takes to the skies. He is an average pilot in an average plane, which means no modifiers.

On his way to the target, he crosses paths with an enemy fighter. They circle each other for some time before Hank breaks off.

Then he runs afoul of two enemy fighters. They do some damage.

Hank escapes and manages to make it to the target.
AA fire rattles him so he misses.

He tries a couple more passes before AA fire hits him. His plane is in bad shape so he heads for home.

The enemy pounces on him!

But he manages to shake them and escape home!

Sadly, he fails his mission.

NOTES
Here are some issues that cropped up.
  • Dogfight turn limit - the initial dogfight went on a long time before I decided that Hank needed to focus on his mission. This experience taught me that I should add a turn limit, like Warbirds' rounds to ground rule.
  • Evasion rules - what if my pilot doesn't want to dogfight? How should I handle that? I have rules for fleeing but they assume that the plane rushes back home. I may modify them to allow a plane to escape combat and resume its mission.
  • Ground attack - I kind of fudged the ground attack rules. I need to formalize them.

6 comments:

  1. You might want to consider having a log or diary for the plane/pilot for the various missions. Action some days, inactivity other days (repairs being carried out, bad weather etc) so it’s something to read to see whether this month (or whatever) can be considered a success or not.
    I recall in the old magazine The Gauntlet there were some first-rate WW1 campaign rule sets involving the fictitious Von Flaschmann (doubtless an Austro-Hungarian descendant of another fictional rogue) not only at sea but also in the air. Very loosely based on the excellent “Otto Prohaska” novels by John Biggins. Highly recommended.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I get the mission rules straightened out I'll introduce some campaign rules akin to the ones I used a few years ago. Here are some of my reports from that campaign: https://warwellwg.blogspot.com/search/label/Dragon%20Squadron

      Delete
  2. Lookign good. I am still streamling the 5150FP rules. Played a few games (all my pilots have died) and currently looking at adding in a little more actual decision making (as is all seems a bit random except you can choose to run away and the bonus dice that get refreshed it seems to me a bit too often).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some ideas for adding decisions, but haven't tested any.
      1. Luck tokens. The player's side gets a pool of tokens. Use them to re-roll dice or lower a damage result. It would be a limited resource that does not replenish during a mission, so it pays to use it wisely.
      2. Bonus cards - The player's side gets a hand of cards, which provide bonuses for certain actions. Some might aid gunnery, others defense or maneuvering, etc. Like the luck tokens, it is a limited resource.

      However, I have found that adding multiple planes provides some decisions, especially when the mission is more than shoot down the other side. For example, the mission may be stop the bombers. Based on the maneuvering rolls, one of my planes can get a tailing shot at an enemy fighter or a side shot vs. an enemy bomber. Which do I choose?!

      Delete
    2. I am allowing a few bonus dice per matchup (in THW terms).If you win a dogfight you have four options: run away, fire, gain a bonus die and dogfight again, or dogfight again and if win fire with +2 bonus dice. At least you get a little bit of choice on what to do if winning a dogfight, other than running or firing. I have tested it once and is went OK. Needs more testing though :-)

      Delete
    3. Good ideas. Good luck with your tests.

      Delete