Saturday, March 2, 2024

Prepping for RPG

In my last update, I mentioned that I wanted to complete a Napoleonic knockout round and an RPG adventure every month. Well, February is over and I already failed - no RPG session. But I made some progress!

Creature Cards
One of the deterrents to my solo RPGing is creating the encounter charts. I've been jotting down the encounter stats in a notebook and then running the game from that. But sometimes (often?) I don't feel like doing the prep work.

The answer is to have cards with the creature stats. Then I can reference them quickly.

I've dabbled with cards before.
None of those prior efforts went very far, however.

Recently, I started a new project to make cards for the creatures from the 1st edition Monster Manual. First, I need to convert their stats to my system. I created an Excel spreadsheet to do the conversions, but I am still working on it.

I had some free time this past week and decided I wanted to play. I decided to jot the stats on index cards rather than in a notebook.

I ended up with this - a stack of cards ready for play!

Using the Cards
One of the issues I had with cards is with creating weighted encounter probabilities. Let's take a simplified example. I have two possible encounters - either a bunch of orcs or a dragon. I decide that the party is more likely to encounter the orcs than the dragon. But if I have one card each, then the probabilities are the same. To increase the probability of encountering orcs, I need multiple orc cards.

The solution is ridiculously simple, but I was so caught up in using cards that it did not dawn on me until now. I can still roll on an encounter table. Then I can consult the card for the stats. This saves me the trouble of jotting down the stats every time.

The Experiment
I started the next adventure in Ser Killian's tale using the cards. More on that at a later date!

2 comments:

  1. Like you Kevin I do like card/paper for my notes - but I must admit there is a big, big advantage to electronic record keeping. Things can easily be updated as you add/remove something or simply change how you record certain items. Of course, in an ideal world I would have a printer (and laminator) so I could print off a hard copy as required. Sadly we’re not in an ideal world ☹️
    On the positive side, I’ve just had a good day at Hammerhead wargames show here in the UK - I even picked up some Tumbling Dice 1/600 aircraft for some WW1 action. Italy vs Austro-Hungary.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having printed cards definitely makes the game easier. Love them!
      Italy vs. Austro-Hungary - that's an interesting take on WW1 combat. Guess who I'm rooting for. ;)

      Delete