Saturday, June 22, 2013

1:1 Scale Wargaming

I have been remiss in posting lately, primarily because I haven't played many games this month. However, last week I engaged in an activity that one could call wargaming at 1:1 scale.


Pictured above is a shot of one of the battles at last week's event of the local chapter of Dagorhir Battle Games. In Dagorhir, participants engage in mock combat using medieval-style weapons made of fiberglass and foam.

Most Dagorhir events simply feature a series of unconnected battles, which are simply an excuse to hack and slash each other. I ran last week's event, however, an introduced a storyline to give some purpose and plot to the battles. Two battling warlords learned of a dragon's egg which had been imbued with dark magic. Whoever could claim the egg would claim great power and become the Dragon Lord.

First, we held a tournament to see who would be the warlords. Agnar and Barnabis were the tournament finalists; they chose their teams and the battles began. After a few field battles, the warlords found the egg. They fought to see who could first claim the egg and return it to their castle. Barnabis ultimately prevailed and became Dragon Lord.

I tried to put an end to the Dragon Lord's reign, but I was defeated.
Here I am (in the white armor) taking on Barnabis

I had some other scenarios planned. Agnar was to attack Barnabis's stronghold (we string rope between trees to create a "castle") in an effort to take the egg. Then there was to be a final showdown between the warlords. Due to the extreme heat of the day, however, we had to cut our battles short. I will include these scenarios the next time I run a "1:1 scale wargame."

No comments:

Post a Comment