Saturday, May 2, 2015

The Block Experiment - Part 1

Yesterday I found some bass wood strips in the garage and so I decided to follow up on a post from earlier this week. I have started on two block armies - a colonial expedition from Redgrave and the defending native tribes of Zamunda.

Zamundan Spearmen
Pictured above are my initial, unfinished attempts. Each block is made from a 1/4 x 1/2 inch strip of basswood. I painted the entire strips then cut it into 1 inch pieces. I will have to go back and do the sides (plus do some touch up - as you can see some of the wood got chipped). Although not necessary, I plan to mount them on bases. This is primarily so they will be the same height as the Redgravians. I am going to make blocks that are 1/4 x 1/4 x 1 inch with 2 blocks per base.

I am doing a simple paint job designed to give the impression of a block of troops. For the Zamundan spearmen, brown represents their flesh, black their hair, and off-white their loincloths.

At a glance, they remind me of my 2mm blocks, which is my goal. So far so good. I'll be continuing my experiments (even though I am very tempted by these paper figures; too bad they don't have the eras I prefer).

No comments:

Post a Comment