Saturday, May 23, 2015

Grayrock and Zamunda and Three

Grayrock
The last battle of the Grayrock Revolution was a little anti-climatic so I've been wanting to do a final pitched battle to decide the fate of the nation. Last weekend I had a little time on my hands waiting for my wife to wake up so I decided to play it out. However, I was at Disney and did not have any minis with me. Instead, I found a site that had a virtual Portable Wargame board so I used that. Here is a screenshot:

Battle of Hemlock - initial set-up

Due to the campaign situation, I decided to handicap the Bluderians with only 4 units. They do have a general on their side. The Grayrockians (represented by the red army) have 6 units, but 2 are militia.

Unfortunately, there was just something lacking about the game.so I did not do a write-up. Instead, I replayed it with my 2mm minis this morning. A battle report will be forthcoming this weekend.

Zamunda
My experiment with block armies is continuing. I have nearly completed enough units for the first battle of the Lumbago Expedition. Here are some pictures:

The Redgravian Expeditionary Force

From left to right: 2 (short-handed) units of skirmishers, infantry in line, an artillery piece, and 2 units of infantry in columns. I still need to make some cavalry.

Initially I was going to use several bits of thin craft sticks to represent individual skirmishers but it seemed too time consuming. Instead, I used small blocks representing clumps of troops.

The Zamundans
From left to right: 2 units of spears and 3 stands of skirmishers.

They are not the most artistic but to my eye they do the trick. From a distance they do look like blocks of troops.

Three
However, my progress has slowed on my block armies because I am waiting for more figures. I mentioned earlier that I was interested in Magister Militum's 3mm horse & musket range. Well, I placed an order and am anxiously awaiting their arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment