Friday, September 11, 2015

Aetheria Plots and Thoughts

My Aetheria project is coming along. I just received notice that my order from Brigade Models has shipped. I am so looking forward to receiving these figures. I have also made progress on my battle board, and also made some clouds using white felt.

The big question remains the rules. Now I am actually thinking a using 2 different sets of rules for 2 scales. They are:
  • Air battle scale – I discussed this concept on a previous update. It is designed for larger air battles. I’ll base 2-3 of the 1/1200 fighters or light bombers on a single stand representing a squadron (heavy bombers and dirigibles will be singly based). The rules will essentially use my Song of Blade and Heroes / Memoir ’44 inspired set. Taking inspiration from One Hour Wargames, each air force will consist of 6 squadrons with each squadron able to take 3-4 hits.
  • Dogfight scale – I’ve been mulling this over in my head during the past week. I would also like to be able to zoom in on the action and play dogfights between flights of 2-3 aircraft per side. I’ve been considering a bunch of rules that will allow me to play solo actions but nothing really grabbed my interest. My favorite dogfight game of all time is Ace of Aces but I have always rejected it for solo play because it involves secretly picking maneuvers. Kind of hard to do secretly when you are your own opponent. I noticed, however, that someone created random maneuver selections for Wings of War/Glory. Now I’m wondering if I can do the same.

I have one other quandary – how to grid my battle board. Initially, I planned to use squares, like my board for ground games. This is because I was thinking of using the new board for multiple purposes – air and ground battles. For ground battles (especially horse and musket and earlier eras) I prefer squares, but I think hexes will work better for dogfight scale air battles. I still haven’t decided what I’m going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment