Friday, April 27, 2018

Gladiator Experiment

This past week I experimented with some home brew rules for gladiator games (using a virtual board). I used the Song of Blades and Heroes activation system. Because I was only using 1 gladiator per side, I added a "fumble" in case the gladiator failed 2 activation rolls; otherwise there would be no incentive for rolling less than 3 dice.

Both gladiators are wounded
The system worked and gave an interesting game, but it did not work like I envisioned. Once the gladiators were in contact, there was no maneuvering. Often, the gladiator only had one activation, therefore attack was the order of the day. I want to see gladiators circling each other, retreating and advancing, as well as attacking. The SoBH system did not provide it.

I am now looking into the Munera Sine Missione system.


  1. "Once the gladiators were in contact, there was no maneuvering."

    If you've ever looked at my hex-based rules, you'll wonder why they have lots of chrome and complexity built onto the simple system. It's precisely to deal with this issue ;)

    You either have to have manoeuvre, or you have to add decisions and drama to the actual combat resolution. Otherwise you just put two figures next to each other and roll dice until one falls over.

    I should point out that Munera Sine Missione uses a small space, minimal paperwork and takes 5-10 minutes per fight, all of which seem to be criteria you go for. the rules are long because we take the trouble to explain everything ;)

  2. I tried to alleviate the no maneuvering issue by introducing an idea from Red Sand Blue Sky. For an activation, a figure next to an opponent could make a roll to maneuver for a better position, which would give a bonus to the attack. The problem was that the figure often only had 1 activation, which it would spend on attacking. It became clear to me that figures needed more activation points, which led me to MSM