Sunday, April 22, 2018

SMASH Ball

Continuing with my latest bout of GADD (Gamer's Attention Deficit Disorder), I had an idea for rules for a futuristic sport I'm calling SMASH Ball. And yes, SMASH should be capitalized.

The game is played on a 5 by 5 grid with 3-player teams. The miniature players (figures) try to carry a ball over the opponent's goal line. Players smash into one another trying to break through the line or get to the ball. Knock downs and injuries are frequent, much to the delight of the crowd.

A SMASH Ball court
A cross = injury. X = knocked down
Some notes on the rules

  • The game starts with the receiving team on its back line and the defenders in the center. The ball is randomly give to one of the receiving players.
  • I use the Song of Blade and Heroes activation system to determine how many actions each figure may take. As I described before, the SoBH activation system provides a lot of decision-making and suspense.
  • With each successful activation die, a figure may move up to 2 spaces. Contact occurs if a figure moves into a space occupied by an opponent.
  • Contact is resolved with opposed die rolls. The loser is pushed back or knocked down, depending on whether the winner doubled the loser's score.
  • Getting knocked down might cause injury (roll for it), which inhibits the figures effectiveness.
  • In standard SoBH fashion, figures are given a Q (quality) and C (contact) rating.
  • Crossing the goal line is worth 1 point. Crossing in the center (red zone) is worth 3 points.
  • Figures can also throw the ball back and forth.
  • In my first test game, I played 12 turns for the half.
I have only played half a game so far but the rules have promise. I do plan to miniaturize it. Fortunately, there can be a lot of leeway on the players - I can envision my mutant gladiators playing SMASH Ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment