Monday, August 6, 2018

Experiment 2

After my previous experiment, I had to ponder my initial design. Rolling a modified 2D6 to determine if the defender or attacker wins that stage of the engagement effectively allowed defensive fire during the attacker's phase. This seemed to make any attack too risky. I considered only allowing a side to damage the enemy during it's own phase. However, I foresee some issues with this (it will be too easy for cavalry to get into close combat among other things).

Instead, I decided to try another tack. I kept my original design for determining if the defenders or attacker wins. However, I reduced the odds of acquiring a morale marker during the Morale Phase. How did it work out? I ran a test.

Two infantry units of the Red army attack a Blue-held hill. One unit outpaces its companion (I was making activation rolls). The first Red unit manages to get into a firefight with Blue artillery.

Ultimately, Red overruns the guns. The other unit gets into action against the Blue infantry.
 Note: orange markers indicate morale loss.

But is forced to retreat. Blue then engages the first Red unit.

Two Red infantry assault the defenders.

After a lengthy fight, the Red units are driven off with severe losses.

Overall my modifications worked well, too well in fact. At first, it was too difficult to cause a morale marker. I made an adjustment and the results seemed better. I liked that the infantry managed to get into close range, bringing a little suspense into the engagement. I think I can continue with my current framework.

My main concern with this experiment was Blue's ability to fight off double the numbers. There is a mod for fighting outnumbered but it didn't seem to help much. I'm hoping that this was an aberration. I'll have to perform some more experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment