Sunday, August 5, 2018

Horse & Musket Experiment

After looking for some new rules this week, I started jotting down some ideas. Essentially these involved a 2D6 dice roll to determine if the attacker or defender wins the round. The loser takes a morale check.

I didn't have time for a full game so I set up an abbreviated engagement. With two units of infantry and one of cavalry, Red advances on Blue's position.

Blue's artillery opens fire. The Red infantry's morale falters.

And then breaks!

Meanwhile, a cavalry clash ensues as the sound of musketry begins to echo off the hills.

A couple of thoughts:

  • Long range artillery seems too powerful. I'll need to weaken it.
  • In my initial version, the attackers can suffer morale loss if they roll too low. I think this makes it very difficult for the attackers. I don't want to making attacks too hard - then there won't be much incentive to advance vigorously and games will drag. I'll probably change the rules for long-range fire so that the attacking unit cannot lose morale on its turn.
On a side note, I really like how the "smoke" looks in the pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment