Friday, February 1, 2019

Happenings

Some notes on gaming-related stuff occurring over the past week:

Coastal Warfare
I decided to play around with the Cruel Seas ships I picked up recently. I whipped up a super-simple, not-intended-to-be historically accurate set of rules and then went at it (because I don't have a big enough water battlemat they fought it out on the Glass Sea).

One of the ships gets hit by a torpedo (black puffs indicate damage)

But it gets revenge. After repairing damage it returns to the fray and in one devastating salvo it sinks the enemy ship.

I actually enjoyed the game and am now intrigued by the topic. I'm not sure if I want to get into another period, though. Even if I did, I would not use the Cruel Seas ships; they are just too large (these German boats are 4.5") for my coffee table. This has spurred a search for appropriate minis, leading me to Irregular Miniatures. I like their generic take on the topic, and the sizes are workable (1/900 I believe so the patrol boat is listed as 22m with the largest, the destroyer, at 40mm)


In the past when I wanted to do WW2 style naval battles, I actually used spaceships instead. I would actually like to do that for this topic; I just haven't been content with my scratchbuilt minis and I'm struggling to find minis that I like.

Organizing
On New Year's Day I mentioned that I wanted to organize my boxed games. I took a few steps in that direction recently.

My completed air war box, contained in a Tiger brand wide Tuff box.

Inside are rules, dice, markers, an erasable battle-mat (10 x 16 spaces) and containers with 1/600 scale miniatures.

I also started a sea box. My two Cruel Seas ships are in it.

Onyx decided he wanted to play.

Krawling
I've done some work on Kevin's Krawl. Recently I ran a second dungeon, this time investigating the catacombs under a church. There they find that death has taken control, and all manner of ghastly abominations prowl.

Here they take out the boss, a skeleton mage

And here is the final dungeon map.

A full report will be forthcoming on Tales of the Templars.

Recruiting
I went on a small miniatures spending spree mid-week.

From Irregular Miniatures:
  • Vessels for coastal naval actions - specifically some patrol boats, a gunboat, and a merchant (yes, I succumbed to temptation)
  • 10mm fantasy for dungeon crawls - a crusading knight, a dwarf, a wizard, an archer, some orcs, and wolves. Planning to convert my dungeon crawl to 10mm.
  • 1/900 scale aircraft - a few 2-engine bombers for my bombing raid campaigns
From Pendraken:
  • 10mm fantasy - some necromancers and some monsters
I also finished painting and basing some 1/900 biplanes. Looking forward to getting them into action.

No comments:

Post a Comment