Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Quest RPG

Recently my wife has returned to Darkest Dungeon, a rather grim dungeon crawl video game.

Whenever she starts playing it, I get a hankering for a tabletop dungeon crawl. Then I begin dabbling with rules light systems, perhaps something my wife might enjoy.

My latest meanderings have led me to this - Quest.

It is a very rules light system that has a lot of interesting concepts. Instead of prattling on about it, I recommend this video review.


While there is so much to love about this system, there are 2 areas that are niggling me.

First, when you roll a 6 - 10 (on a D20), you face a tough choice. You succeed in your action but have to choose one of two setbacks. As the Guide (GM), I then have to think up possible setbacks. What if I can't think of something?

I could get over that, but what is really bothering me is that armor seems to serve no function in the mechanics. So a robe-wearing wizard is just as likely to get wounded as a plate-armored paladin. I get that Quest is trying to focus on story over mechanics. Furthermore, there is a magic item card for resplendent plate that provides defense. But what about good-old-fashioned iron armor? I mean, I like a stripped down game, but that is bothering me.

So now I am considering ways to pillage Quest for ideas to apply to my own rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment