Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Let the Games Begin!

 Now that I have an "arena" I am experimenting with some ideas for gladiator fights. Below is an illustrated explanation of the rules.

Activation
Each side rolls D6 + modifiers* for activation points. 
High roller goes first. Each side has Roll / 2 Action Points (APs)

* Modifiers would include armor, experience , etc. For today's battle, I did not apply any modifiers.

Actions - Movement and Maneuver
Actions are then taken alternately - high roller then low roller.
It costs 1 AP to move one space.

Example: Nocan (left) faces Axel. Nocan rolls a 5 so gets 3 APs while Axel only gets 1. Nocan moves forward 1 space as does Axel. Nocan moves another space but Axel's movement is over so Nocan moves a third time.

I don't have a photographic example, but figures can also maneuver while sharing a space. A maneuver costs 1 AP and allows a figure to slip to the side of his opponent, giving an advantage when attacking.

Combat
Melee combat occurs when combatants occupy the same space. The figure that moved gets to attack.
Rules Note - initially I required an AP to attack, but it became too easy to escape combat, and figures began circling without any combat.

Combat is based on my MicroBattle rules. It involves the following steps:
  • Attacker makes a Res Test. A base Res Test requires a 4+ to succeed. In this example, Axel and Nocan were in the same space. Axel attacked and scored a 5 (green die). A hit!
  • If hit, the Defender makes a Res Test to block or avoid damage. Nocan rolled a 4 (red die). Just enough to prevent a wound!
  • The Defender also makes a Res Test to determine if he must retreat. Nocan's 3 is a fail. He must back up one space.

Here, Axel wounds Nocan and forces him to retreat!

Nocan suffers a second wound, then (below) Axel finishes him off.

I then tried a bout between Axel and Sir Cadian (a heavily armored knight). I broke off the fight mid-game because something was bothering me about the rules. I added a rule for maneuvering to give the player some choice - do I go in for a frontal attack or do I try to sneak around? The problem was that it was too easy for the opponent to counter the maneuver. For example:
  • Nocan and Axel start in the same space. Nocan has 2 AP and Axel has 1.
  • Nocan goes first and decides to maneuver.
  • Then Axel goes. He maneuvers also. They are back to face-to-face.
  • Nocan can then maneuver or attack. If he maneuvers, he'll need to win initiative to be able to make a side attack.
Let's take a look at another example:
  • Nocan and Axel start in the same space. Nocan has 3 AP this time and Axel has 1.
  • Nocan goes first and decides to maneuver.
  • Then Axel goes. He maneuvers also. They are back to face-to-face.
  • Nocan maneuvers.
  • Then with his final AP, Nocan gets a side attack.
The problem I'm having is that the dice seem to be dictating the choice of tactics. If I have 2 more AP than my opponent, then a side attack is a viable tactic. Otherwise, attacking will guarantee a chance to hit and seems to be the better option. I would prefer the choice of tactic to be equally viable, then rolling dice to determine its success. Perhaps I need to borrow from Red Sky Black Moon and add a maneuver roll (I discussed this RSBM mechanic in this prior post). When a figure does a maneuver, he gets to make a Res Test. If he succeeds, he can attack immediately.

I'll have to think about it a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment