Saturday, September 25, 2021

More RPG Fun

I guess I'm now on an RPG kick.

After running an experiment last weekend, I spent some time elaborating on my MicroQuest RPG rules. Previously, they were very bare bones, but I fleshed them out. I think I'm close to a final version.

Traits vs. Attributes
One aspect of Tiny D6 that I liked was the use of traits instead of attributes. Instead of rolling for Strength, Intelligence, etc., you just choose any noteworthy physical characteristic as a trait. For example, a fighter might have the Strong trait.

One problem with Tiny D6 traits is that the traits are binary - a character either has it or he doesn't. Given that class skills are also expressed as traits, this means characters don't really progress in their primary field. I want characters to be able to level up. 

Applying Traits to MicroQuest
Here is how I apply traits to MicroQuest.
  • Characters will still have classes (I call them professions) and levels
  • Characters start with 2 positive and 1 negative attribute-related traits
    • Example: A character might be intelligent and wise, but weak
  • Additional traits, like backgrounds, are also possible.
The MicroQuest Character Sheet
Based upon my application of traits, my character sheets now begin with a description.
[Name] is a [race] [level title] [class] who is [trait] and [trait] but [trait].

Here are a couple of examples:
  • Tweedle is a human apprentice (level 2) wizard who is smart and agile but foolhardy.
  • Dunh is a human novice (L1) warrior who is burly and hardy but ignorant.
I like this so much more than a D&D style stat block.

I flesh out characters with additional traits, equipment, and combat stats, but I'll cover those in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment