Wednesday, September 29, 2021

The Sad Tale of Rolf and Padraig

During my RPG experiments in the summer of 2020, I ran a short-lived solo campaign using a set of home-brew rules called Paladin's Quest. My characters were a paladin named Padraig and a ranger named Rolf.

I posted their adventure on my LARP blog, called the Paladin's Path. When I re-organized that blog, I removed those posts, which I now regret. I should have moved them here.

Anyway, I thought I'd give a run-down of their adventures.

  • Our heroes, Padraig and Rolf, began their adventures as scouts for the Duke of Palomia. One day, they stumbled on an abandoned castle. They found that it had been taken over by monsters! They had to search the grounds, battling goblins and bandits along the way, before they found a key to the keep. They investigated the keep and encountered an ogre. In an epic battle that left them severely wounded, they managed to kill the ogre.
  • Concerned about the incursion of monsters, they rushed back to the Duke's capital. They took a shortcut through a mountain pass. They found a Ducal outpost destroyed and then had to fight their way through a variety of monsters. At the far end of the pass, they spotted a wyvern attacking another outpost. They rushed to the outpost's aid and managed to drive off the beast.
  • They reported to the Duke. He informs them that another scout is missing, and he orders them to search for the scout. They make their way to an isolated village. It is overrun by zombies and spiders. Rolf tracks the missing ranger to the spider's lair. They kill the queen, but the scout is dead. Note - I started using missions from Rangers of Shadow Deep.
  • Searching for the source of the monster incursion, our heroes find a tower overrun by gnolls. They battle to the top, and find a shadow knight. Alas, he defeats them. Note - Rather than killing them off, I decided to give them a chance to escape.
  • They awake deep in a mine. Monsters are forcing prisoners to work. Padraig and Rolf overwhelm some orcs and steal their weapons. They fight their way to the mine entrance, but once again the shadow knight confronts them. Alas, both fall to the knight. Note - well, they failed. I'm not giving them another chance.
And that ends the story of Padraig and Rolf. RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment