Sunday, September 5, 2021

Wild: Serengeti - My Kickstarter Adventure Begins

Taking the Plunge

It's ironic that a mere few days after Kaptain Kobold wrote about taking the plunge with Kickstarter, I'm kind of doing the same. Technically, it's not my first Kickstarter - I previously backed some RPG where you play anthropomorphic cats. But I pledged for a PDF copy, which I received, rather than a physical product. Today, however, I'm going for a physical item, a board game.

How I Found It

I found this by pure serendipity. I was perusing the RPG Pub and came across this topic about a game of African exploration. That's not the game I pledged. Instead, the thread sparked an interest in African exploration games. While I was searching, I stumbled across this game...

The Discovery

It's called WILD: Serengeti.

I immediately fell in love with all the animal meeples. As I read more, I realized that it's a perfect game for my animal-loving wife. Apparently, your character goes around shooting the animals . . . on film. Yep, your character is a documentary filmmaker.

Anyway, I immediately backed it. Now I just need to wait 10 months to get it.

Now back to the original search

I'm still looking for African exploration games. I'd really like to find one similar to Source of the Nile, but with a smaller map and about an hour playtime.

5 comments:

  1. Let me know what you find on the Source of the Nile front - I love that game, but it's so fiddly and long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And KK beat me to writing the same comment I would have made. If you find anything, I want to know too!

      Delete
    2. Not much luck so far. The search continues...

      Delete
  2. I too was recently tempted to take my first plunge with a Kickstarter.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brutalquest/super-tiny-giant-battles-battle-of-bloodbone-bridge/description
    Fantasy battles with paper armies. I gather the stuff is at the printers now but the PDFs are to be sent out shortly. Good stuff, although I suspect it could well be a case of swapping the paper units for small figure elements (2/6/10mm I’m not decided yet).
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. Super Tiny Skirmish by the same designer is on Wargame Vault. Should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete