Wednesday, January 4, 2023

The Adventures of Roth and Grz

I'm starting a new series of sci-fi adventures with new characters.

Inspirations
I previously mentioned that I was intrigued by the new version of Five Parsecs from Home.

I have the first edition so I pulled that out and perused it. I also discovered that I have Starport Scum by the same author. Both games seem to cover the same ground. I did a little research a found a post where the author explains that SS "is much more RPG oriented." Therefore, I focused my efforts on SS.

My Rules
Instead of using SS, however, I plan to use my own rules. Specifically, I am revising my MicroQuest fantasy adventure rules to create dungeon crawls IN SPACE! Nevertheless, I plan to crib some of the tables from SS.

Character Creation
I used the SS rules to create a 4-character party. I ended up with 2 aces and 2 goons. The aces are a security guard and an alien. I also use SS to generate backgrounds.

My sci-fi rules have different classes, however. Based on various inspirations, they feature these classes:
  • Soldiers
  • Spacers (e.g. pilots)
  • Scientists
  • Psychics
I decided that the security guard would be a soldier and the alien would be a psychic. I decided to drop the goons and go with a 2-character party. If I need reinforcements, I'll add some temporary goons.

I found some name generators online to come up with their names.

The Characters
Here is the end result. My characters are:
  • Roth Tian - a human soldier
  • Grzlu - an alien psychic
Both start as level 1 characters.

According to their background, they both fought for a cause. I assume that they were freedom fighters against a tyrannical government. Afterwards, Roth founded his own company while Grzlu advanced in reputation with the new government.

However, they became embroiled in a scandal, and were caught committing fraud.

I want my heroes to be heroes. so I decided they would be government agents. In their story, the Galactic Federation gave them a second chance. In lieu of a prison sentence, Roth and Grzlu are now secret agents, fighting against the evil Imperium that threatens the Federation.

The Story Begins
I used the jobs tables from SS to generate a mission. Stay tuned for their first mission!

4 comments:

  1. A good start Kevin, with a back-story created and a plan for what the characters will be doing in the future. FWIW - “Wasp” by Eric Frank Russell might be a decent source of inspiration, as the leading character shows how easy it might be to undermine the powers that be.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking for a good book right now so Wasp may be an option. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to the first mission.

    I love Starport Scum (but use my own task system). I started off a campaign about November last year, got one mission done and dusted...and then the THW Quick Play PDFs arrived and so Scum went into hiatus.
    Note the 3rd version of 5 Parsecs from home does incorporate some of the things from Starport Scum (miostly things that appeared in the Scum expansions though).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have the new 5PfH in mind, but not willing to pay the price yet. Still, I've been enjoying the 5PfH playthroughs on Me, Myself, and Die.

      Delete