Sunday, July 14, 2024

More Maritime Musings

On occasion I find myself drawn to naval gaming. Once again, I find myself pondering some action at sea.

The Inspiration
This post from The Wargames Website peaked my interest in wargaming some dreadnought action, especially when the original poster mentioned Austrians vs. Italians.

The Main Problem
My biggest issue is space. Lately, my games have been using a 5-inch square board. That does not give a lot of room for naval maneuvers. I've been thinking of standardizing my boards as 5 x 7 inches - still small for naval.

A Solution
Rummaging around I found an unused GMT game box. I decided to turn it into my naval gaming box. It's 9 x 12 inches, which allows me to fit a larger board.

I did a test game to see if the board works. it does, and it fits snugly in the box. I just need to add a grid.

Rules
Once again I find myself perusing rules, as I did in January. Back then I mentioned a set of homebrew fleets in space rules. I decided to give them a test run. Expect a battle report soon.

Counters
For my test, I whipped up some ships using wood ovals. These are just a temporary expedient; I will replace them with counters.

Back in January, I made some pre-dreadnought counters - a battleship, a cruiser, and a destroyer. I'm not entirely satisfied with them and will redo them. But this has led to some questions:
  • Do I want one ship or multiple ships on a counter? I am toying with the idea of multiple ships for big fleet battles.
  • Do I want genre-specific ships or can I make generic counters. Considering how they get scaled down, I think generic counters would work.
Anyway, I have some work and testing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment