Saturday, December 27, 2014

RETROSPECTIVE - War Game Campaigns

I mentioned before that my father had a copy of Donald Featherstone’s War Game Campaigns


This book would have an enormous impact on me, even though I never used the rules presented within its pages. Oh, I tried, but I failed miserably. The problem was that I had the rules for campaigns but not the rules for actually fighting the battles! Therefore, I was totally confused how to go about it. When I was about 13, I used a big piece of poster board to create a map of the coast of Saxon England for Viking raids, akin to what Featherstone did in his book. I used Legos as markers but I just did not know how to run combats! So my first attempt at miniature wargaming died aborning. Instead, I remained a board gamer, until a newfangled game called Dungeons and Dragons lured me in.

Nevertheless, I found War Game Campaigns to be inspirational. Again and again, I eagerly read his battle reports and found myself wanting grand campaigns with miniature soldiers fighting it out over simulated terrain. I would eventually take up miniature gaming, but that is a story for another day.


P.S. Eventually, my Dad gave me his copy of War Game Campaigns, which I still have, and still read, from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment