Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Battle of Oikos

Background
Following up their first victory, the Persians strike deeper into Byzantine territory. The Emperor instructs General Synchysi to hold the invaders at the town of Oikos.

Dispositions
Synchysi posts two units of heavy infantry in and around the town (left), backed up by heavy cavalry. The remainder of his army defends a nearby hill (lower right) so that the enemy cannot turn his flank.

The Persian commander decides to focus his efforts on seizing the hill. His infantry will  demonstrate before the town.


The Battle
Synchysi's infantry repulses an attack on the town and his cavalry chase the light infantry to a nearby hill. Feeling secure, he sends some infantry to the right flank, where a cavalry melee rages.

Note: I ran out of casualty markers and I was too lazy to go upstairs to get more so I pressed a sunflower seed into service.

The Persian light infantry shoot down their pursuers.

In a display of indecision, Synchysi recalls his infantry in the woods. They are not needed, though, as a Persian assault on Oikos fails miserably.

The Byzantines lose some cavalry (top) and their infantry (left) takes casualties from Persian archery.
Meanwhile, the Persian elephants prepare to assault the infantry holding the hill.

Synchysi rides to the beleaguered hill, but he is too late. The elephants have crushed the infantry and taken the hill.

The elephants stand firm, leaving Synchysi no choice but to concede Oikos. The Emperor will not be happy.

Campaign
With another loss, the Byzantines find themselves in an 0-2 deficit for the campaign.

Game Notes
I took the scenario from One Hour Wargames. It is number 14, Static Defense. The attacking Persians need to control either the town or hill at the end of 15 turns. The elephants seized the hill on turn 14.

For the armies, I used the lists created by Mark Cordone in The Portable Wargame Compendium. He lays out some ancient army lists for his 3 x 3 variant.

Counters
This battle was the first outing for more generic army counters. I used blue for the Persians and red for the Byzantines.

I have to say that I am quite pleased with the result. The counters are easy to handle and easy to identify the troop types. Furthermore, they are much quicker to create than painting miniatures. Expect to see more counters in the future.

I have some enhancements in mind.

First, I would like some better casualty markers. I created a design already, but I have another thought. I may print some more unit counters with some kind of casualty mark (maybe bloodstains) and glue it to the backside of the counters. Then I can just flip the counter when it takes damage. I just don't look forward to all the gluing this would require so I may just make a handful of casualty counters.

I used 2mm terrain for woods and hills, but I was too lazy to dig out any buildings. Instead, I used a piece of card with buildings sketched on it. I actually really liked this approach. I often have difficulty fitting buildings and figures in a square but having flat buildings solves the issue. I may create some building counters, kind of like in the Command & Colors series.

4 comments:

  1. Another interesting battle Kevin. You used your own micro-battle rules, yes? There are sooooo many option these days - home brew, OWH or one of the other Neil Thomas rule sets, TPW (The Portable Wargame) or one of the TPW variants such as the 3x3 fast play rules. Phew, where to start…?

    I do prefer the Byzantines, if only because I can’t always take the Sassanid Persians seriously. The Sassanid (or do we call them Sassanians now?) levy spearmen are generally depicted on the tabletop as looking like the Elbonians in the Dilbert cartoons.
    To be fair, I have considered building a Hordes of the Things army of Elbonians, using Sassanid levy infantry but I gave up as I would have needed lots. Elbonia is always depicted as being knee deep in mud, so that might’ve saved time on painting. Ha ha 🤣😂

    As you have mentioned, the ability to simply print an army is waaaayyyy quicker (and cheaper) than buying figures and having to paint & base them.

    Regards,

    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used MicroBattle.
      LOL. Now I want an Elbonian army. :)
      And I've been very pleased with my printed counters

      Delete
  2. It is just me or are these slightly larger armies than usual? I seem to remember that most of your armies are 2-5 units. I have noticed this I am always impressed you get a good game with so few units! This one sees 6 on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good eye, Shaun. I was using 4 units on my 5x7 square board. For this game, I used a 7x8 board, which I felt could handle a full 6 units in accordance with OHW scenarios.

      Delete