Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Games and Stuff

 A lot going on during my vacation last week.

Surviving Orlando
We went to Orlando to visit Disney's Flower and Garden festival.

But first, we had to sit through a timeshare presentation. I thought it would be worth it for the hotel stay and other goodies they offered us. It wasn't.

Then I succumbed to heat exhaustion at Epcot. First time I ever left Disney in an ambulance. At least we had a nice dinner at the Nine Dragons (Chinese restaurant) the night before.

Roaring 20s League
I played another week of games for my dice baseball league.

In the American League, the Yankees won 2 out of 3 over Cleveland. Nevertheless, Cleveland's win was memorable. Down 1-0 late in the game, the Indians scored 7 in one crazy inning that included a grand slam. New York answered with its own grand slam, but they still fell short 7-5. In the other series, the Athletics swept the Senators, with all games being decided by a single run. The second game was especially heartbreaking for Washington. They gave up a 4-run lead late in the game.

In the National League, the Cubs swept the Pirates, with a two-run homer by Rogers Hornsby securing the victory in the first game. St Louis's Grover Alexander had a bad game, allowing 4 walks and 6 hits in an 8-run inning. He settled down after that but the damage was done and the Giants were victorious 8-3. Then the teams split the next two games.

Here are the current standings.

Counters
After some thought, I decided to continue with my counter experiment. I added to my counters with some ships for Byzantine naval battles. Each fleet has light galleys, heavy galleys, and merchant ships.


I also printed a bunch of the counters.

I put the naval counters in action. Here is a shot. Full report coming.


I recently acquired some bases from Litko. I just need to paste the counters onto the bases and my armies will be ready to go.

Bargain Buy
When I was working on my 1666 Campaign, I considered getting this book from Helion. But at 30 pounds, I considered the price too steep.


Now that I am making counters, I wanted to try some for this campaign. I was looking for some uniform references and again came across this volume. However, it was on sale for 11.98! I ordered it without a second thought.

Operation Last Train
Earlier this year, I dabbled with Operation Last Train, a set of free sci-fi rules. I had some free time one evening so ran a scenario. Sorry, no after action report. The star marines managed to save 3 bands of civilians at the loss of one squad.

Missed Comments
I just discovered a backlog of comments awaiting moderation. I approved and responded to them.

Sorry for missing them. I turned on moderation due to a glut of spam but I did not realize that I had notification off. It is now on so I should respond in a timely manner going forward.

4 comments:

  1. I’m glad you spotted the Comments backlog Kevin. No worries anyway.

    Your baseball games aren’t something I know much about. Much like I imagine cricket is a mystery to most Americans.

    It is always worthwhile keeping an eye on the Helion website, as they regularly have offers for book discounts.

    I did checkout Operation Last Train when you initially mentioned it. I don’t know whether I’d play it “as is” but there do seem to be a few useful ideas in there.

    It’s a good few years since we’ve been to Orlando, but the whole “parks experience” can be a bit intense. Busy with so much to see and do, yet very warm too (especially when compared to the UK). I hope you are fit and feeling well now.

    Regards,

    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geoff, I'm glad too. Please pardon the baseball stuff. Like many American kids, it was a passion of mine back in the day. I'll make up for it with some more battle reports. And I learned my lesson; no more Disney during the Florida summer!

      Delete
  2. A recommendation for you Kevin - checkout Mike Lambo’s various solo gaming books (on Amazon, for example). There are a few videos on YouTube you could view to see if they’d suit your tastes. 👍
    Regards,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I just ordered his Battles of Medieval Britain

      Delete