Sunday, June 5, 2022

Mare Nostrum

More properly, He Hemetera Thalassa, Mare Nostrum (hereafter MN).


MN is a set of rules for galley actions that I have been perusing lately.

I picked them up last year when I began a short-lived foray into Byzantine naval operations. Because of my recent experiments with galley battles I decided to take another look.

Here are some of my thoughts.

What I Like
There are quite a few aspects of the rules that I really like.
  • The emphasis is on fleet actions rather than individual warships. Because of this emphasis, MN employs multi-ship bases, much like my counters.
My counters in action
  • Missile combat does no damage, but it reduces a ship base's effectiveness in "melee" combat.
  • The rules cover galley warfare in the Mediterranean up to 900 AD, so they cover Byzantines.
Not Sure About This
There is one rule that gives me mixed emotions.
  • There is no distinction between ramming and boarding. Both are subsumed into melee.
This makes a lot of sense for fast-play fleet actions, but I worry that it will make combat too generic. The difference between fleets that rely on ramming vs. those that board seems to be an important difference that I would like to model in some fashion.

Not My Cup of Tea
There is nothing inherently wrong with these aspects of the rules. They just don't fit my preferences.
  • Fleets consist of multiple squadrons, each with multiple ship bases. As a result, scenarios tend to feature dozens of bases (the sample scenarios generally have 20-40 bases per side). I plan to use about a half dozen stands per side. I'll probably assume that each stand is a squadron.
  • Combat resolution uses D10s but I plan to use D6s. I will likely adapt my MicroBattle rules to replicate the results.
My Plans for Galley Wars
I don't really plan to use MN as is, but I will mine it for ideas.

Here is a rundown of my thoughts so far on galley warfare rules.
  • The objective is a portable wargame style set of rules with a gridded board (of perhaps 8 x 10 spaces)
  • Fleets will consist of ~ 6 squadrons, each of 1 base.
  • Movement will be random, perhaps 1-2 spaces per move
  • As with MN, missile combat will affect combat effectiveness
  • I may adjudicate ramming like a charge, with bonuses in combat. After the ram will come boarding.
  • I will use MicroBattle resolution to determine combat results.
That's what I have so far. Stay tuned for more experiments.

1 comment:

  1. Kevin - I’m not particularly interested in naval gaming, but don’t mind the occasional foray where the outcome can affect the land campaign. Still, it’s always nice to mix it up for a change every now and then. I look forward to reading more and seeing how you develop this. I often purchase rule sets to see what others have done, if I can “borrow” any rule mechanisms/ideas etc.
    All the best,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete