Saturday, June 4, 2022

Eastern Med Action

Introduction
After completing some naval counters, I decided to get them in action.

I set up a quick hypothetical action between the Byzantines (red) and Arabs (blue)

Background
A Byzantine convoy is taking supplies to northern Africa. Arab galleys intercept it.

The Battle
Opposing light galleys engage in missile fire (upper right). The Byzantines take damage.

The light galleys engage in boarding actions, Meanwhile, the Byzantine heavy galleys (bottom right) overwhelm more Arab light galleys.

The supply ships turn right in an attempt to escape.

But the Arab heavy galleys overtake them.

There is a mad scrum, but the supply ships are forced to strike.

Arab victory!

Notes
  • I used a variant of MicroBattle that I quickly ginned up. Some highlights
    • Each counter represent a squadron of ships
    • Squadrons move 0-2 spaces per turn
    • There are 3 forms of combat:
      • Missile fire (range 1-2 spaces)
      • Ramming - attacker needs to move into an opponent's space. Roll for success depends on the angle of attack.
      • Boarding - for ships that begin in the same space. This uses an opposed die roll
    • A successful attack does 1 damage. Squadrons strike on 2 points.
  • I made the counters by
    • creating the top-down ship images in PowerPoint. They are stylistic instead of realistic
    • printing the images on cardstock
    • Cutting out the images and gluing them to some 1" wooden tokens I had lying around
  • Overall, I like the counters. They especially make it easy when squadrons share a space.
  • I want to make some damage counters. I just need to decide on a design.

4 comments:

  1. A nice little battle Kevin. My only (slight) disappointment was that I would have liked to have seen your Byzantines use their fire syphons. I suspect it would have filled enemies with dread, although the operator must have needed nerves of steel 😀
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. As far as Greek fire, I kind of merged it in with boarding, and gave the Byzantines an advantage due to it. Alas, it did not help enough.

      Delete
    2. One final thought - if ever you print more galleys you might want to consider having the oars pointing slightly to the rear of the vessel (to give a vague impression of forward movement).

      Delete
    3. I thought about that but I got lazy.

      Delete