Saturday, September 23, 2023

A New Campaign - Fantasy Imperials

Inspired by some suggestions made by Geoff (aka elliesdad) on a recent post, I decided to start a new campaign.

The Setting
As mentioned, I plan to run the campaign in my LARP's setting. It will follow an as-of-now unnamed Legion from the Aurelian Empire, which is a Roman-like state.

An AI creation from Gencraft.
I'm playing around with AI illustrations for some of my posts.

Note: I'm not doing the Chimera Legion, which is my LARP group. Their battles will strictly be LARP battles.

QUESTION: What should I name my Legion? I have an idea but am looking for others.

Legion Make-up
Horses do not exist in this setting so there is no cavalry. To make things more interesting, I added a variety of foot types. These are the unit available to the Legion.
  • Regulars - standard heavy infantry. I decided not to make any distinction between spears and blades. Despite the historical performance of Roman infantry, I'm not convinced that blades are inherently better than spears. I think training and experience are far more important factors.
  • Auxiliaries - medium infantry that still fight in heavy infantry formations. The most common troop type in the legion.
  • Warbands - allied tribal warriors. Fierce but brittle.
  • Scouts - bow-armed light infantry.
  • Artillery - bolt throwers or other types of siege weapons.
For battles, I will randomly determine the Legion's make-up.

Handling Enemies
As Geoff suggested, I will hide enemy troops types until Legion troops make contact. This will introduce an additional element of fog of war.

Representing the Armies
For now, I'm going to use my current armies of counters. Eventually I want to make counters representing all the different troop types.

I plan to make enemy counters two-sided. One side will show the troops in formation and in such a way that I can distinguish the type. The other side will have a generic block of troops representing an unknown body of enemies.

The Palmyra Campaign
I toyed with running a campaign against the Dark Magi, which are my Persian stand-ins. However, our most recent LARP campaign featured a war against the Dark Magi. I did not want to repeat it. 

In the end, I decided to set my miniature campaign in Palmyra (not-Egypt). The main enemy on this front is the Hyenids, as I call them. They are essentially D&D gnolls.


The Hyenid Army
These are the troop types found in the Hyenid armies.
  • Elite Warriors - essentially the equivalent of heavy infantry.
  • Warbands - masses of ravenous but undisciplined warriors.
  • Bows - missile armed.
  • Beasts - various ferocious animals, such as giant hyenas.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to add another troop types for the hyenids - shamans. Essentially HotT magicians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’re progressing well so far Kevin. What do your Legion have to counter the Hyenid shamen?
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete