Saturday, June 16, 2018

Waterloo Revisited

This week it dawned on me that the anniversary of Waterloo is approaching. I recalled that I played an enjoyable One Hour Wargames style scenario for the 200th anniversary. I decided to revisit that scenario.

The opposing forces are the same, although I am using counters instead of my 3mm Magister Militum figures. Furthermore, I am using my 1 inch gridded dry erase battle board with terrain features drawn on the map.

Now to the action

The British and French drawn up in opposing lines.

Napoleon sends cavalry and infantry forward on his right flank.

They engage the British. Hard fighting ensues.

Until the French cavalry is driven off.

Napoleon now launches a general advance. On the left, the French infantry is repulsed by British light troops defending the Hougoumont.

But the French try again and drive the British out. The French also take La Haye Saint.

The French keep pressing and rout the British infantry on the French left and center!

With half is army in flight, Wellington has no choice but to call for a general retreat. Napoleon has achieved a decisive victory!

Game Notes
  • Last year I was experimenting with some army level horse and musket rules but they were not available for today's battle (they are on my dead computer - I need a new battery). Instead, I improvised using my latest skirmish rules, treating each unit as an individual. The rules worked OK but I think my army level rules would be better.
  • In the past, I have used the Song of Blades and Heroes method of determining activation. For today, I simplified greatly - roll 1D6 (3+ to activate a unit) but the turn ends on a roll of a natural 1.
  • Early in the battle, both generals were plagued by bad command rolls and the action moved slowly. Napoleon corrected his command issues whereas Wellington did not. The result was a very vigorous offensive with a weak response, leading to Napoleon's success.
  • Overall, I enjoyed the battle. Sometimes it's good to roll dice and move units, even if the rules are fuzzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment