Saturday, June 30, 2018

Push 'Em Back!

I have a little free time and decided I should play a game. However, I was not really in a mood for any battles. Actually, I have World Cup fever, so I wanted to play a sports game. Last World Cup I modified some soccer rules into Star League, a futuristic goal-scoring game. Alas, those rules are stuck on my dead computer (I really need to get a new battery for it). Instead, I pulled out a board and counters and began to improvise.

The game is a very simple dice rolling contest. There are 5 rounds per game, with 6 plays per round. Each play is an opposed dice roll with the winner moving forward either 1 or (when doubling) 2 spaces. A team gets 2 points for pushing the opponent off the board or 1 point if in the opponent's territory at the end of the round.

In this game, Red is pushing back Black.

I then set up an 8-team single elimination tournament, using my generic counters. I finished the tournament in about an hour. Here are the results:

Round 1
Red defeated Blue 6-4 (OT)
Purple def. Green 5-4
Black def. White 5-3
Gray def. Brown 7-2

Semifinals
Red def. Purple 5-3
Black def. Gray 5-3

Finals
Red vs. Black

Round 1 - Black scores 2 points
Round 2 - Red scores 1 point
Round 3 - Red scores 1 point
Round 4 - Red scores 2 points
Round 5 - Black scores 2 points

At the end of regulation, the score is tied 4 all. The game goes into sudden death. Whoever scores in the overtime round wins the championship!

On the final play, Red finds itself backed into its own territory. However a 5-3 roll (with the white die for the Red side) pushes Black back into its own territory

We keep playing until there is a winner. On the next roll, Red scores a 3-1 victory. They push into Black territory and claim the championship!

This was an amusing diversion. There was no strategy involved, however, so it could grow stale very quickly. I'm thinking of giving each side a pool of tokens it can use to modify or re-roll dice (not sure which yet). The size of the pool could vary depending on the team's quality. I foresee some experiments coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment