Wednesday, June 20, 2018

The Purge

Recently I replayed a Waterloo scenario that I originally ran for the 200th anniversary. This time, however, I used my generic counters rather than my 3mm miniatures.

Did I miss the minis? Actually no. And this got me thinking about what I do and do not need for my gaming.

Bob Cordery's recent efforts at downsizing have also got me thinking about reducing my gaming clutter. Now I don't have a large collection as it is. There are just a cheap plastic chest of drawers from Walmart and a few plastic boxes.


Still, I am a minimalist at heart, and it grates on me to have unused stuff lying around. Which brings me back to my 3mm figures. They worked great when I was using a 2 inch gridded battlemat. However, I have switched to a 1 inch gridded dry erase board and to me the figures look oversized for the grid.

I have been thinking of switching back to 2mm (yes, another scale switch). I think they will look better on the 1 inch grid. As a result, 3mm is now expendable.

I actually began a purge process in January, bagging up a bunch of stuff I don't think I need anymore. I have added my 3mm to the pile.

Now what to do with the lot? Trying to sell crappy collections like mine is usually an annoying process. I don't make much (if any money) and it just adds annoying errands (like running to the post office) to my already busy life. However, I hate to throw them away. It just seems wasteful. Maybe I'll just post them on this blog and see if anyone wants them - just pay postage.

Any suggestions?

5 comments:

  1. Kevin, personally I think the 3mm look fine on the grid, so I'd urge you not to part with them.
    But the aesthetic appearance of wargames is very much a matter of personal taste - you probably wouldn't care for my 10mm Napoleonic ImagiNations on Hexon II tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect postage to Australia will be hideously expensive, but I might be interested in the figures. I hate to see figures binned :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arthur, I'd love to have 10mm on Hexon tiles, but personal space considerations and lack of painting time (or enthusiasm) prevent it. I know my gaming habits and have come to realize that for me it must be super simple or it doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin, I assure you I have no enthusiasm for painting! I sold off boardgames and rules I knew I wasn't going to use again, and worked some extra hours so I could pay someone else to paint them for me - result: a better standard than I could achieve and in a shorter time.
      I share your preference for 'super simple'; I've just adopted a different, more 'toy soldier' aesthetic. It just seemed to me that your original 3mm figures looked rather good on the grid, so it seemed a shame to abandon them.
      But good luck with whatever you decide!

      Delete
  4. Kaptain, I won't bin any figures without giving people a chance to take them off my hands.

    ReplyDelete