Saturday, May 21, 2022

Countering Counters

Counter Status Update
Last time, I ruminated about switching to counters. I even worked up a file with a few armies, although I haven't printed any yet. Anyway, here is what I have.

A page of counters ready to print

2mm Inspiration
A couple of recent posts on The Wargames Website has me re-thinking counters and re-considering 2mm.

Steelonsand posted about Strength and Honor, a set of Roman-era rules designed for 2mm figures. Inspirational stuff. I even picked up a PDF copy of the rules! Steelonsand also posted some links to 2mm manufacturers I never heard of. I really like the MDF figures, although they are sadly not available.

This reminded me of an earlier post on TWW with homemade 2mm using matchsticks. Here is the blog post by James Ferguson.

Second Thoughts
After seeing these 2mm wonders, I am debating counters vs 2mm.

I don't think I want to use Irregular, however. I like their figures, but I would like something lighter and less likely to get damaged while traveling. I also wonder if I could whip up wood blocks like the matchstick armies quicker than I paint Irregular's miniatures.

Travel Test Run
The reason I bring up traveling is that I will be on vacation starting tomorrow. My wife and I are visiting the Big Mouse.

I put together a travel pack using some older block armies, an erasable battle mat, and some dice all in a zippered pencil case. I am considering a future upgrade to lightweight 2mm miniatures and flat terrain. Stay tuned for experiments.

2 comments:

  1. I’d be interested to hear more of your progress. I’m happy with Irregular Miniatures 2mm figures - either on standard DBx sized bases or on (mostly 20mm frontage bases, so effectively 1/2 DBx size bases). Occasionally some IM 2mm figures are simply too big, but that’s really just some of their larger Sci Fi range, specifically the infantry bases and the “walker” Mecha figures. I’ve just gone with 25mm square bases in that case. Regards,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went up to 3mm because I was having trouble distinguishing horse from foot. But that probably had something to do with how I painted them. I picked up some more 2mm but they'very been sitting on my painting desk. I think I can do counters much quicker.

    ReplyDelete