Saturday, May 13, 2023

A New RPG Campaign

I haven't made much progress on my proposed fantasy wargame inspired by Command & Colors. Instead, my thoughts turned to roleplaying.

A couple of months ago, I started a roleplaying campaign using the Dragon of Icespire Peak module.


However, I was running it using Swords & Six-Siders.

But the campaign was short-lived. One player dropped out and then another has been unable to make the last two sessions. Given our inconsistency, I decided to drop the campaign altogether.

I still want to meet up occasionally for some good, old-fashioned dungeon-crawling, so I decided to pull out an old favorite - Four Against Darkness. We'll be able to play even on the days when we are down to 2 players. And because adventures are short, we should be able to finish in one session, so it won't matter if we are missing someone.

However, I just can't leave well enough alone. One of my beefs with 4AD is that the random dungeons are too, well, random. I started experimenting with themed dungeons. I am now revisiting this concept and prepping for our initial 4AD session. My idea is to create an orc's lair. The adventurers must kill the Orc Brute to gain the bounty.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more updates!

2 comments:

  1. Themed dungeons certainly makes more sense than purely random ones, although to be fair if a dungeon is described as random then you can hardly complain about its randomness. I always like a background story to be coherent and, by their very nature, a random dungeon isn’t really going to provide that.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are degrees of randomness. I'm just reigning it in a bit. For example, I don't know what the orc lair will look like and where the orc brute is. I just know I won't run into a mummy in an orc lair.

      Delete