Thursday, May 25, 2023

Kislev Triumphant

Last weekend, I managed a playtest of my latest fantasy wargame rules, featuring the counters I recently created.

My armies are pseudo-Warhammer Fantasy armies.

Set Up
I randomly determined the terrain and composition of the opposing armies.
  • "Kislev" - 2 units each of knights, light horse, and heavy infantry, 1 unit of shooters, and a general
  • "Empire" - 2 units each of knights and heavy infantry, 1 unit each of light horse and shooter, and a general
I did not create a fancy scenario. They're just trying to beat up the other army.


The Battle
First blood goes to the Kislev light horse (right).

Kislev's knights charge (left) and destroy some light horse. The Kislev light horse finishes off some knights.

Imperial heavy infantry catch and destroy some Kislev knights.

The Empire advances in the center.

While the general leads his heavy infantry against the rest of the Kislev knights. The knights fall.

A mad scrum breaks out in the center. It goes on for several turns. First, the Imperial shot goes down. Then the knights fall.

The Imperial army loses heart and abandons the field.

Thoughts
Just some miscellaneous thoughts about the game.
  • I'm happy with the counters. I just need to finish some proper casualty markers.
  • At 35 minutes, the game was a tad longer than MicroBattle. But that's not a bad thing, as I hope to play this face-to-face with someone. A bit longer will be better.
  • I used an activation method based on Song of Blades and Heroes. I rolled 1 to 3 dice per sector (left, center, and right). Each pass allowed me to activate a unit in that sector. Having a general in the sector added a bonus to pass. It worked all right, but too often a side failed to activate any units. I'm on the fence with this method.
  • There were times where heavy infantry attacked cavalry. It seemed weird, but I don't know how I want to address this.
  • Combat generally followed the Command & Colors procedures, however I allowed an armor save.
  • I added a twist to saving rolls. If a unit was faster than its opponent (light vs. heavy or cavalry vs. infantry), it could turn a casualty into a retreat with a roll of 1.

2 comments:

  1. That was a nice battle report Kevin. Your counters look fine (although I still prefer miniatures to be honest). Were the Empire forces at a disadvantage by being outnumbered? Or did you give their forces some other advantage?
    Will you be “publishing” your rules when you have completed testing/tinkering with them?
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Empire did not have any advantages to compensate for being outnumbered. Just bad luck with the random army generator.
      I should figure out how to add a PDF to the blog so I can easily post my rules. I think I need to use Google Docs?

      Delete