Sunday, June 25, 2023

Darguk's Dungeon

My friend could not attend our Four Against Darkness session last Sunday so my brother and I pressed on by ourselves.

The Party
We played with our alternate characters, which meant that we had a small party. 

Here are the party members.
  • Gerd - warrior
  • Marlin - wizard
Because we had a small party, I halved the number of enemies.

The Quest
Go into the dungeon, kill stuff, and take their treasure.

I created a complex adventure but did not want to run it without my friend. Therefore, I decided to run a completely random adventure. I had no idea what the boss was.

The Adventure
Our heroes hear tales of a mysterious cave, No one has visited it and returned alive. Naturally, Gerd and Marlin decide to check it out.

Here is a map of the dungeon.

While exploring the cave, our heroes encounter:
1 - 4 skeletal rats
2 - 3 goblin swarmlings
3 - Armory. Marlin took a short sword and Gerd took a mace.
4 - Empty
5 - A catoblepas. They both saved vs. the monster's gaze. Gerd got in the first wound. Marlin then lightning bolted it and then smashed it with his staff.
6 - A minotaur. After one major monster, the heroes did not want to face another. RUN AWAY!
7 - A troll. Gerd kills it. Marlin remembered to slice it up so it would not regenerate.
4 - Wandering monster while backtracking - 2 orcs.
8 - 2 giant frogs.
9 - An orc brute named Darguk - Gerd wounds it then Marlin puts it to sleep.

At this point, the party reached a dead end and fought a boss, so I declared that they had explored the entire dungeon. I wanted a shorter dungeon anyway, so this was perfect.

I had my brother roll for wandering monsters on the way out. He rolled brilliantly; the party had no encounters!

Aftermath
Marlin had to use a bandage and was close to needing a heal. Gerd took some damage but was in no danger. They managed to save their healing potions.

Both characters got to roll to gain a level. They both succeeded and are now level 3. They also raked in around 150 gp each. So it was a profitable venture.

1 comment:

  1. Success all round!! Gained experience and gold. The spoils go to the victors. ⚔️⚔️
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete