Saturday, June 3, 2023

Quick Skirmish

No-lustee
For Memorial Day, I planned to run a patriotic scenario. Since Memorial Day emerged from Civil War commemorations, I thought about a Civil War battle. I looked through a listing of Battle Cry scenarios and found Olustee. It dawned on me that I never played an Olustee scenario before.

Olustee holds a special place in my heart. During the '90s, I was a Civil War reenactor. Living in South Florida, Olustee was the nearest battle to me. Naturally, I reenacted the battle many times.

As it turned out, there was no Olustee this year. I was too lazy to set it up.

Quick "Skirmish"
But in the evening I wanted to play something quick. I remembered experimenting with a set of skirmish rules called Age of Heroes. As I recalled, they played fast! This is because most figures could only take a single hit, although they had an armor save.

Anyway, I grabbed some counters for a skirmish. I used MicroBattle, but units were more brittle. If hit, a unit rolled a save, Fail and it was gone. Save and it took damage.

Here it is. I played the game in a box lid. Kislev vs. Empire.

At this point, each side lost 3 units. The Kislev heavy infantry charged the artillery but suffered casualties.

The end. The heavy infantry overruns the artillery while the Kislev general cuts down the Imperial general.

All told, the game took about 10 minutes!

Ideas
Back when I was experimenting with Age of Heroes I had the notion of a league for arena fights. The idea fizzled when I never got around to painting the miniatures.

Now I have the idea rattling in my head. But I'll use counters instead of miniatures. I just need to start building the teams.

2 comments:

  1. If the game plays THAT fast Kevin wouldn’t it make sense to turn into, say, a 3/4/5 game mini campaign? You could also maybe “carry forward” results from one game to the next. For example, the loser of game 1 only has a 50% chance to recover losses to game 2, whereas the winner might have a 60-75% chance. In addition, a “heavy” defeat might decrease recovery chance for the next game. If armies are too small, then you might just “top up” with low quality militia/levy types.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still in the rules testing phase so I'm not thinking about campaigns yet. Stay tuned!

      Delete