Thursday, June 1, 2023

Out for a Test Drive

I previously tossed out the idea of making counters that are more grand tactical, with more men per counter. Well, I finished them and took them out for a test.

A French army maneuvers to attack Austrians defending a series of hills.

Austrian infantry pushed off the first hill.

French pressing the Austrian artillery.

And that's where I stopped. I've been in the market for a new car and I got a call from the dealership offering a test drive. I dropped the game and headed out. I did not buy the car.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I like them after all. They look great on the computer but they don't really photograph all that well.

I am tempted to make some similar to these.

The side view is not as realistic looking as top-down, but it is colorful and very easy to distinguish troop types. I was previously put off by the facing issue. Which side is the unit's front? Well, for the above battle, I just decided that the top was the front (after flipping Red's facing). It worked out well enough.

3 comments:

  1. Would you always have your counter images posed in the “same actual direction” as the above battle? (Apologies if I’m not making myself clear here).
    All of the images/pictures above are posed facing toward the camera. That’s fine for solo games, but I suspect it would be awkward if you were playing against an opponent “sat opposite” - i.e. facing the camera. With miniatures, at least the units are facing each other.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The counters probably should have the bottoms toward their baseline. So I was doing it "wrong" in the above picture. One advantage of top-down is that facing is clear. But the pictures are prettier.

      Delete
  2. There’s no need to consider anything “wrong” Kevin. If it works for you, then it’s right. Your game - your call.
    I can see that you might want to have different counters for solo games to those used for games against an opponent.
    Cheers,
    Geoff 😎

    ReplyDelete