Thursday, January 11, 2024

Quickie Napoleonic Knockout

Now that I have a bunch of counter armies, I want to get them all into action. I've been pondering the problem and came up with a solution - a quick-play knockout campaign.

I got the idea for a knockout campaign from Kaptain Kobold.

The Map
I created a campaign map with 6 powers - Britain, France, Prussia, Austria, Russia, and Turkey.


The map itself came from https://www.euratlas.net/history/europe/1800/index.html. I just added circles representing the nations and pathways between them.

The Armies
Rather than generic armies, I decided to use army lists specific for each nation. I decided that each army would consist of 5 units, which I determined semi-randomly. 

Creating the Army Lists
Here is how I created the armies.
  • I assigned 2 units of muskets to each army.
  • I consulted the army lists from Chris Engle's Fusilier (now combined with Ritter) and subtracted 4 muskets from each list. This leaves 6 possible units.
  • I created a random table using the 6 units.
  • I rolled a D6 three times to randomly select 3 more units for each army.
For example, the Napoleonic French list is 1 skirmisher, 6 muskets, 1 artillery, 1 cavalry, and 1 knight (e.g. cuirassiers). This results in a random table of 1= skirmisher, 2-3 = musket, 4 = artillery, 5 = cavalry, and 6 = knight. If I rolled a 1, 3, and 6 I'd add 1 skirmisher, 1 musket, and 1 knight unit to the base 2 musket units.

I re-rolled if I got extreme results. For example, I initially rolled 3 cavalry for the Prussians. It just did not seem right so I rolled again and got the result shown below.

Army Compositions
Here are the armies. I will keep the same compositions for each battle.
  • British - 3 infantry (i.e. musket), 1 cavalry, 1 light infantry (i.e. skirmishers)
  • French - 3 infantry, 1 light infantry, 1 artillery
  • Prussians - 4 infantry, 1 cavalry
  • Russians - 3 infantry, 1 cavalry, 1 artillery
  • Austrians - 3 infantry, 1 cavalry, 1 light infantry
  • Turks - 2 infantry, 2 cavalry, 1 artillery
Army Stats
In addition, Ritter provides additional stats per army - Move, Killing Attacks, and Break Point. I used these to create additional nuances for each army.
  • Move became a modifier to the activation role. The French (unsurprisingly) had a better than average Move so I gave them a +1 modifier. The Turks were below average so they get a -1.
  • Similarly, the French had better than average Killing Attacks and Turks below average. To reflect these, I bumped a unit of French infantry to elite status and lowered a Turkish infantry unit to militia status.
  • I used the Break Points as is. The French and British have a Break Point of 3 units while the remaining armies have a BP of 2.
So now the campaign is ready. Stay tuned for the first battle!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds good so far. I look forward to reading more when the fighting starts ⚔️⚔️ It’s a bit harsh on the Frenchies having no cavalry, but dems da dice rolls I suppose 😉
    To represent possibly available reinforcements and/or reserves, I might have been tempted to (separately) roll for one more army counter and then, once that’s been resolved, to have the option to exchange one of the army counters for the Reserve counter. Or maybe throw a D6 for this reserve. Better quality commanders/armies have a better chance of success, whilst poor ones will likely be less successful.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete