Thursday, February 17, 2022

A Shiny Diversion

A shiny silver bayonet, that is.


As with many of my manias, this came about in an offhand way.

Last weekend, I wanted to play a quick game but did not want to pull out my minis. When this happens I usually pull out my RPG stuff but I just did not feel up to it. Lately, my RPG blog posts have been verbose and I wasn't up to the work.

As I pondered what to play I thought it would be neat if there was a mini-game that would cover Hans Niemand's activities between skirmishes.

This thought led me to En Garde! but I could not find a PDF copy. Besides, I'm not too keen on carousing and womanizing.

Perhaps I could some RPG-style gaming. But who would be the enemy?

At this point, I was perusing the Lead Adventure Forum and came across a post about Silver Bayonet. Of course, I thought, Niemand can fight supernatural terrors in his spare time! 

This then led to a crazy setting idea. After the Turks retreat from Vienna, Imperial scouts pursue into Ottoman territory, only to find it overrun by supernatural terrors. It turns out that the Turks woke Vlad Dracula, who unleashed a horde of undead that conquered the Ottoman Empire. Now the undead have turned their sights on Vienna!

This setting will allow me to intermix skirmishes a la Pikeman's Lament (with undead Turks as the enemy) along with RPG-style monster hunting. I probably won't use miniatures for the RPG-ish sessions; it will be theater of the mind.

While researching other gothic horror games I came across one called Anno Domini 1666 (emphasis added). I love the title for a horror game, so I will likely move the setting back a bit to 1666. This will require some minor adjustments to the setting (no siege yet) and possibly the rules, but nothing significant.

Anyway, stay tuned for the 1666 campaign!

2 comments:

  1. The Silver Bayonet doesn’t seem too far removed from the concept of Flintloque (particularly Deadloque). I have a few figures for Deadloque and, many moons ago, picked up some historical Napoleonic Russians to add a bit of variety. I’ve seen some TSB AAR’s on LAF and it confirms my suspicions that there would be a fair bit of cross-over with potential scenarios etc.
    Good luck with your adventures in 1666… Perhaps they could involve one of Hans Neimand’s uncles, as it was only 17 years before events at Vienna. Possibly even his father?
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I considered making the main character Hans's father but then decided to shift the timeline. So Hans's previous adventures occurred during the Austro-Turkish War of 1663-1664. I guess the chronicler got his dates mixed up. ;)

    ReplyDelete