Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Project Updates

1683 Vienna Project
I've been doing research for my 1683 project.

I picked up a couple of rulesets:
  • Baroque is an Impetus variant. It has a few army lists, including Imperialists, Ottomans, and Poles.
  • But I am most interested in Pikeman's Lament from Osprey.

It's really geared toward smaller actions, but I find the campaign system very intriguing. It follows the fortunes of your commander, as he leads a company through a series of actions, and (hopefully) rises in experience and rank. I'm thinking of creating an Austrian officer and running a campaign for him.

PL's force lists are geared for western European armies, but I found some online suggestions for eastern armies.

I currently have some 3mm figures that will do for cavalry. I placed an order with Magister Militum for some infantry and dragoon. I can do 1683 as a small side project.

Byzantine Project
I placed my orders for my Byzantine project

Miniatures will come from Magister Militum's 3mm line. Here is my shopping list:

Byzantines:
  • Heavy/Medium Infantry will represent the skutatoi
  • Skirmishing Archers will be light infantry
  • Parthian Style Cataphracts will do double duty as Byzantine Cataphracts. At this scale, I can't really tell the difference
  • Likewise, Parthian Style Horse Archers will do double duty as Hunnic allies
Sassanian Persians:
  • Parthian Style Cataphracts and Parthian Style Horse Archers for the cavalry
  • Persian Sparabara will be levies
  • Skirmishing Archers as light infantry
  • and Seleucid Elephants
I also ordered some terrain; the Roman Buildings from PicoArmor.

Operation Last Train
I wanted to order PicoArmor's Desert Buildings for my Operation Last Train sci-fi project. Alas, they were out of stock. I'll keep an eye out for them.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good. I look forwards to reading how you get on with The Pikeman’s Lament. All the best,
    Geoff. 😀

    ReplyDelete