Tuesday, February 1, 2022

A Bout of Insanity

In keeping with my plan to alternate between miniature game and RPG reports, I have an adventure on tap for this weekend. However, I've been thinking ahead about my next miniature battle. I'd like to do something historical, and this has led me down the path of insanity. I'm considering another project.

Note: I'm not giving up my Byzantine project. I'm just waiting until after my birthday to order miniatures and terrain.

My Convoluted Thought Process
How did I come to a new project? Well, it goes like this:

Step 1: Consider my options using my current generic armies
I have red and blue armies. Two historical campaigns immediately spring to mind:
  1. American Revolution - Redcoats vs. Continentals
  2. Napoleonic - British vs. French
None of these particularly appeal to me at this moment.

I did a little research and came up with another option - 1848 Danes vs. Prussians. Meh.

Step 2: Consider creating a new army
Perhaps I could supplement my forces with another generic army. If I go this route, the answer is simple. I'm rather partial to the Austrians, so white is the obvious choice.

Step 3: Consider a campaign against my existing armies
Where and when should my Austrians fight?

I have a blue army already, so Napoleonic Wars vs. the French or Seven Years War vs. Prussians spring to mind.

But again, not feeling it.

Step 4: Consider creating another army
Who else could fight the Austrians? Quickly, my mind turned to the Ottomans.

Step 5: The Ah Ha Moment
If I go Austrians vs. Ottomans, why not step back a bit to very early in the horse & musket period (or late in the pike & shot period)?

1683 - Siege of Vienna
From the cover of Osprey's Vienna 1683

Now I'm getting crazy visions. Imperial cuirassiers, Janissaries, and Polish winged hussars! Oh my!

Problems
There are a few:
  • What uniforms do the combatants wear?
  • Do they even have "uniforms"?
  • What are the army compositions? How many cavalry, infantry. etc.?
  • How should I treat pike & shot units?
The Plan
I see this as a long-term project. Here is my current plan.
  1. Begin research on the campaign.
  2. Complete my Byzantine project first.
  3. Paint up a small, generic white army - this is an interim project to let me play Austrians vs. French or Prussians, and perhaps form the backbone of the Imperial army.
  4. Then begin work on the 1683 project. This may become a project for next year.
As far as research, here are some considerations and plans.
  • To get a better idea of the various uniforms, I ordered Vienna 1683 by Osprey
  • To gauge how to tweak my MicroBattle rules for pike & shot, I'm reading through some rules that focus on the period: One Hour Wargames, The Portable Pike & Shot Wargame, and Twilight of the Sun King for starters.
  • I'm also on the look-out for scenarios or army lists.
Stay tuned for updates on this project.

4 comments:

  1. George Gush’s book “Renaissance Armies 1480-1650” is a good place to start. Many of the chapters are available on-line.
    FWIW - if you decide to go with 2mm scale then Irregular Miniatures not only do cuirassiers but even make the famed Polish “winged hussars”. The Ottoman cavalry sipahi’s and akinji’s would be an easy paint conversion from IM’s mounted lancers and horse archers. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another book you may want to checkout is Bruno Mugnai’s “Armies of the Ottoman Empire 1645-1719” (part of Helion Books “Century of the Soldier” series). Newer than Gush’s book - originally published as a series in Airfix Magazine - the Mugnai book is well illustrated and will probably answer any/all questions you may have about the Ottoman army of this period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. White could also be used as pre revolutionary wars French, who could fight your red or blue armies.




    ReplyDelete
  4. Elliesdad and Mark, thanks for the suggestions.
    I plan on using Magister Militum's 3mm figures. I checked and they do have winged hussars. I think I can convert most of the rest

    ReplyDelete